Archtypes
Just a bit ago, shopping, I noticed a muscular, bald Western man with a Thai woman of half his age and weight. She had long lustrous hair and wore tight denim short shorts. I can't help but feel glad to see tradition being kept alive!
Continuing on the subject of jumping to judgement, I recall Philip K Dick's charming "Clans of the Alphane Moon", in which various varieties of mental deformity, in isolation with others of similar condition, achieve kinds of super-power through amplication of their mutation/abberation. It once seemed possible to relate this to tribal variety and I fantasized using the idea as basis for a great American epic poem (my namesake/ancestor having produced so questionable a one).
Could psychological conditions not be placed in a line, or perhaps circle, of gradation? Might not that be a key to better understanding of our condition? The silly idea gave me hope, and ambition. Drugs helped the fantasy. I got a whole page written, which I sometimes read at a poetry forum at a local bar. Listeners were forgiving, if not terribly impressed.
But we do interpret much of we experience, relegating music or art or performance into catagories which might/can blend into each other. Certainly people have adapted to rather extreme conditions, and racial stereotyping has always had a certain vogue, n'est-ce pas? And that we so easily jump tp judgement must have had some adaptive utility, nest-ba? And psychological consitions can be milder or more extreme depending on conditions? And we generalize so as to aid the efficiency of our cogitations? No? NO???
Continuing on the subject of jumping to judgement, I recall Philip K Dick's charming "Clans of the Alphane Moon", in which various varieties of mental deformity, in isolation with others of similar condition, achieve kinds of super-power through amplication of their mutation/abberation. It once seemed possible to relate this to tribal variety and I fantasized using the idea as basis for a great American epic poem (my namesake/ancestor having produced so questionable a one).
Could psychological conditions not be placed in a line, or perhaps circle, of gradation? Might not that be a key to better understanding of our condition? The silly idea gave me hope, and ambition. Drugs helped the fantasy. I got a whole page written, which I sometimes read at a poetry forum at a local bar. Listeners were forgiving, if not terribly impressed.
But we do interpret much of we experience, relegating music or art or performance into catagories which might/can blend into each other. Certainly people have adapted to rather extreme conditions, and racial stereotyping has always had a certain vogue, n'est-ce pas? And that we so easily jump tp judgement must have had some adaptive utility, nest-ba? And psychological consitions can be milder or more extreme depending on conditions? And we generalize so as to aid the efficiency of our cogitations? No? NO???


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home